Friday, December 23, 2005

Philosophical Sibling Discussion

I got off work last night at 10:30 and I decided to give my bro a call. Of course he called me back awhile later because that's what he does. Well, we had a big long talk about our philosophical and spiritual beliefs. Two hours later we could have still been talking about them. I think it boiled down to me thinking that I may believe in predetermination. I believe that things happen for a reason. Fate, karma, whatever it is, there is a driving force. I don't know what it is. If I fall and break my neck it happened for a reason unbeknownst to me until such a time when it will make sense. He believes that everything is random. If something happens, it happens because it happens. Not because it's supposed to, but because it does. Atoms collide at random, so he thinks that life happens that way as well. Who knows? Nobody knows. It's just a thought. And for all we know, maybe that's not random. Maybe atoms don't collide at random. Maybe they have a pattern and we're too simple to figure it out. Or maybe there are too many for us to even figure out a pattern. Infinite possibilities. Needless to say, it was a cool conversation. I haven't had a really rockin' conversation like that for a long time. I was starting to feel stupid. I don't think I'm that smart to begin with,but I was starting to feel less smart than I already thought I wasn't. ;) Now if only I could figure out what Maven believes. Then we'd be on to something.

Funny thing about the discussion though is the religion part of it. He was saying how he doesn't really believe in organized religion. Going to churches, how there are disputes within religions and in the churches of those religions on what to believe. But my point is such. These people, and not all, because you can generalize, but that can never include everybody, are not the nicest people. I find them to be the exact opposite. When, upon helping a customer at the bookstore, these people have questions about the Bibles or Christian books, they're the meanest, rudest, and most inconsiderate customers. There it is! Dispute me if you want, but I have not found it to be any different. That section always looks the worst and those customers never say "thank you". So how does that even make one believe in going to church to listen to God if they can't even get basic manners right? I mean, does God or the church believe that it's not "Christian" to do those things? I don't know. It's all Greek to me. If anyone has started reading my blog, feel free to comment. I"m curious to know what you think.

No comments: