Wednesday, September 27, 2006

8 Meaningful Touches a Day

When I was in high school I atteneded youth groups associated with different Baptist and United Methodist churches close to where I lived. Although, I don't currently practice any particular religion, what I'm about to tell you isn't necessarily associated with any particular relgion, but rather something that I picked up at one of these gatherings. In fact, what I'm about to tell you affects ALL people at ALL stages of life.

For some reason "8 Meaningful Touches" has stuck with me through my life. In particular, I'm referring to hugs. Studies have shown that being hugged every day increases your life span and makes you happier. It prolongs your life like nothing else can. You have to reach out every single day and give someone a hug. I know some people cringe at the thought of "touching" someone and even more so if it's a stranger, but o ahead and try it. See how you feel afterwards. I guarantee you won't be let down by the effects. By reaching out to people we're showing that this country has nothing to fear by loving our fellow man.

In an article by Sarah Mahoney published on Despardes.com,"Doctors at the University of North Carolina have found that hugging may dramatically lower blood pressure and boost blood levels of oxytocin, a relaxing hormone that plays a key role in labor, breastfeeding and orgasms." Who doesn't want a bear hug after that? This particular articleoutlines the benefits of hugging. It's amazing the research done on this subject. I wouldn't normally wonder about this, but my life is not aplenty with hugs.

Honestly, this particular video is what really got me thinking how badly people need to be touched every day. Check it out. There's a bit of controversy attached to it, too. Can you imagine that people would really want to outlaw hugging?

No comments: